Friday, October 8, 2010

Ramadhan Ya Karim..

A young Muslim boy passes his free time while waiting for Iftar at Al-Kautsar, Javanese Muslim Community, located in the Commewijne district in Suriname, South America. Suriname imported Javanese Muslim contract workers from Java, Indonesia 150 years ago after the abolition of slavery during its Dutch-controlled colonial period.
When I think of Ramadan, I think of dates. Although they are small in size, one bite of them has the ability to fulfill the hunger of a fasting person. They are rich in flavor and for something so small their sweetness is surprising. The tradition of breaking one's fast is with a date and some water. When I hear the Adhaan (the call to prayer) of Maghrib (the sunset prayer), my body longs to eat a date. As I nibble ever so slightly savoring each bite of the date, I thank Allah from the bottom of my heart for giving this to me. Food just tastes so much better when you know you've earned it.
A Canadian Muslim woman stands in prayer near the national coffee chain Tim Hortons in Toronto, Ontario on September 6th 2010. Over 500,000 Muslims call Canada home. These Muslims strive to balance both their Canadian and Islamic identities in their day to day lives.
A top view from the minaret of Al Azhar mosque showing two people entering the mosque to pray on August 14th, 2010 in El Sakakeny, El Zaher, Cairo, Egypt
Muslims pray during Ramadan at Ottawa Mosque, Ottawa, Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment